History of the Harbour

The harbour of Torekov in 1903. As can be seen, the harbour basin has a different shape than the current one, and as can also be seen, it is not made from concrete, but wood. A freighter and a pilot vessel are moored in the left hand side of the picture.

This is what the harbour of Torekov looked like in the year of 1928. The only house in the harbour, at the right hand side of the picture, is the pilot house. A large sailing vessel is moored.

View of the harbour in the 1930s. The ongoing fishing is clearly visible. What can be taken for a wooden pole in the middle of the picture, is actually a hanger for fishing nets. On the lot on which it stands, was to be built a retreat for Karin Göring, but as she was deceased in 1931, it was never finished.

Wasa, as ship of local fame, during the 1940s. The skipper (at one point also harbour master) Carl-Johan Kjellberg has made a large finding of valuable metals in a nearby wreck. In the picture, some of the findings are being unloaded. Wasa was built in a wharf close to Helsingborg in the year of 1905. Today, she is about to be repaired and able to sail once again.

The harbour of Torekov, filled with ships during the Second World War. Amongst them are the shipping vessel Gerda, fishing vessel HG1986, also known as “Mogley” and Vesta. “Mogley” is set up for trawling, while Vesta has a purse seine ready.

Late 1940s. The ship’s name is Tärnan, with skipper and harbour master Julius Larsson onboard. She was built south of Helsingborg, and one of her duties was to transport tourists to and from Hallands Väderö. The fenders seen in the picture have been manufactured from old mooring lines.

Yet another picture from the late 1940s. The boat moored along the pier in the middle of picture, hade the nickname “Strykjärnet”, meaning the flat-iron, due to it’s shape. Outside of her is Tärnan, and farthest away in the picture is Fylgia, which at the time was the largest vessel for transporting tourists. In the far background, one can see the old Church tower of Torekov, which was demolished a few years later.

The freight ship Gerda fully loaded. She was Torekovs last freighter. Ernst Nilsson was the skipper, and he usually sailed with a crew of two to three. She left Torekov for good in 1951, and one of many eras in the harbour, thereby ended.

1951. A for the time being, very large private yacht is moored farthest away in the picture. To the left of her, at the other side of the basin, stands a diving tower used by the swim school. Out at sea, is a somewhat larger ship, which possibly transported passengers from Halmstad to Torekov and Hallands Väderö. A Norwegian and a Danish car are park, which indicates that tourism in Torekov already was international.

Rescue vessel Benhard Ingelsson, which was stationed in Torekov for many years, is here used to break ice during a cold winter. She reversed, reached some speed and then rammed the ice, which was broken down part after part. Some years even dynamite was used to break the ice.

Late 1950s. One can here see the many simultaneous businesses that are underway in the harbour. In the ramp a boat is being serviced, astern of her three foreign private yachts are visible. Above the dark Mercedes-Benz limousine in the picture, one can see equipment used for placing poles that were used for fishing. Even farther away, the transfer of stones from ship to car is happening, with no less than three ships for that purpose in the harbour at the same time. At the leftmost point of the picture is “Falken”, she was used for catching metal and other valuables under water. Against the pier in the middle of the picture is the Coast Guard vessel T230, which was stationed in Torekov.

Winter in Torekov during the second half of the 1950s. The wooden ship, close by to the right in the picture, was used for transporting cows and other animals to Hallands Väderö. Left of her is one of Torekov’s first larger private yachts. At the central pier, afar to the right in the picture, one can notice how the buildings are way farther apart than they are today.

A tuna fish is being hauled in by Hallands Väderö in the early 1960s. Most likely, the fish was exported, as the local population was yet to learn to enjoy eating the species.

Midsummer’s Eve 1963. Far away, the concrete structure still hosting Torekov’s Maritime Museum today, is being put in place. At the same time, a lot is going on in the harbour. Many cars are parked, and the people are many. The fishing vessels are up to their usual conduct. The model T Ford seems to be the least interesting object in the picture.

The first half of the 1960s. To the right in the picture is one of Torekov’s first plastic boats. The owner of it was therefore called “Plastaolle”, Olle being his name, and “plasta” meaning plastic, due to his boats material.

The contemporary restaurant “Fiskhuset” in a very early incarnation. The current building that hosts the restaurant was built in 2021-2022. At the time of the picture, the primary business was sale of fish. The business was at first operated by the Holm brothers, who also had a salt water aquarium, open to the public.

TYK, Yacht Club of Torekov, currently TBSK, was formed in 1961. Here one can see one of their regattas underway. The dinghies being of models Optimist and Mirror.

Simultaneous activities. Two large guesting vessels share the pier with fishing vessels, one of them also arranging fishing tours, which is advertised on it’s roof.

Late 1960s. TYK’s own jetty. Sailors are on their way in and out of the harbour. Today a more modern jetty is located here.

Early 1970s. The guest harbour business has picked up speed, and in this picture, the fishing industry seems to be much less prominent.

Januari 1971. ”Karin” has been very successful in catching Cod fish and is unloading in Torekov.

The herring fishing was also many times good during the 1970s.

This was reflected in the fact that the harbour sometimes during the colder months, was filled to the brim with boats for the purpose. Many of them coming from far north on the Swedish west coast.

The westerly pier before the extension thereof, which was made in the early 1970s.

For a contemporary viewer, the scene might look chaotic, but still during the 1970s, this sight was nothing unusual. Fishing vessels and private yachts share the water of the innermost part of the harbour.

These gentlemen are discussing the expansion of the harbour in the first half of the 1970s.

Here one can see the area which the men in the picture above this are looking at, before the expansion. The sailing school and it’s pupils are seen.

The westerly pier has been extended, and in it’s current form, which was finished in the early 1970s. The eastern pier, which was built in the early 1980s, is not there.

Winter in Torekov. Late 1970s or early 1980s. Fishing vessels are moored.

Yet another picture from the herring fishing period of the 1970s. Harbour Master Thore Holmbergs vessel, with the dark wooden wheelhouse, is second frontmost in the picture. It was amongst other things, used to place navigational buoys, which at the time were made from solid wood. To the left, at the other side of the basin, lies Nanny, which still today is operated as a passenger ferry to Hallands Väderö.

The ship ”Valkyrien” during the 1980s. Here she is at the ramp of Torekov Marin. The ramp and it’s rails were used together with a large electrical motor and wire, to pull the vessels out of the water in order for maintenance to take place. The ship in the picture was one of the customers with the largest displacement, around 30 tons.

The new harbour is finished in 1981. The easterly pier (farthest away in the picture) has been built as an solutions to the increasing problem with a larger and larger amount of private yachts, which until then were to share piers with commercial vessels. In the picture, three floating jetties are connected to the new pier. Today there are five.

A Winters day, possibly in 1984. The sea rescue vessel Bernhard Ingelsson has left Torekov for good, as the rescue station is not currently operative. In her place, a Danish tugboat is used to create a path out of the frozen harbour for eager fishermen.

The Sea Rescue Station of Torekov ended operation in 1976. The Coast Guard’s vessel then became the sole rescue vessel in Torekov. Here the Coast Guard vessel TV283 is seen, in the mooring space which belonged to her until the station was moved in 1997. In 1991 the Sea Rescue Station of Torekov resumed operation.

Spring of 1989. The harbour is much more alike the one of today than ever before.

2001. The new harbour office lacks it’s current red colour, but is ready for usage. During the 00s many changes took place in the Harbour to better be able to cater guesting boats increasing needs. A new shower and toilet building was built, and a new laundry house put in place.

Spring of 2004. Harbour Master at the time, Lennart “Frisse” Nilsson, to the right, together with his precursor Thore Holmberg. Experiences are, as should be, carried on. A list of all Harbour Masters in Torekov since the 1940s is posted below.

  • Julius Larsson (194? – 195?)
  • Sture Lundin (195? – 1962)
  • Albert Olsson (1962-197?)
  • Carl-Johan Kjellberg (197?-1972)
  • Thore Holmberg (1972-1983)
  • Lennart ”Frisse” Nilsson (1983-2008)
  • Eva Bäcksin (2008-2015)
  • Georg Wimmer (2015-2022)
  • Oskar Stenberg (2022-)